Sunday, August 15, 2010

Final Days of the Titanic - Day 3

The alarm went off at 5pm, and I reset it for 6. 1 hour later it went off again and this time I got up and let MeAsWe sleep a bit longer. I heard voices outside from the guests that were staying there. Opening the door I was presented with Mother Nature pissing all over the place. The NOAA indicated there was a 50/50 chance of precipitation, and I guess I would just have to chalk this one up and one that didn’t go my way.

We donned our rain suits and headed out for the final taking of the Tons and Burgs. In July I had mounted some Shinko Raven tires and was impressed by their dry condition handling. While I kept my speeds down (in a relative way), I have to say the Shinks gave me no ass pucker moments and did their job on the wet roads and we made ourselves east.

The GPS had been acting up since yesterday, and would switch into other modes, like someone had the remote control and was pressing buttons randomly. Today it would be not better, so I abandoned the pre-planned routes and just plugged in the next location and selected fastest route. Even with the fastest route selection we found ourselves confronted with unpaved roads up mountains in the rain.

We have been to the Grand Canyon of PA before and hence we have been thru Wellsboro, but never stopped at the Wellsboro Diner, so we did. For a place that looks so nice the food is nothing special. (As with almost all my photos you can click them to see a bigger version.)

Down the street for gas and ran into these fellows

In Binghamton we grabbed the post office and then headed off to the New York Inebriate Asylum, a National Landmark. Once we got there, I headed off to the front of the building to grab some photos and MeAsWe stayed behind. Completing the photo session, I turn back to the bike and see MeAsWe is talking to the police. As I approached, the officer let me know, it is forbidden to take photos. He stated he is suppose to make me delete the ones I have gotten, but he will trust me to delete them before I leave.He said he did not want to get out of his vehicle in the rain [*wink wink]. I nodded my head and said we will be leaving and apologized for my bad. Only a handful of TONS/BURGS to go

Traveling in the rain for the last 8 hours I decided we needed a break. We came across this place. It looked historical so we pulled in. It was the Lansing Manor in Mine Kill State Park in Blenheim NY. I figured it was on the National Register of Historic Places.

Our last official town was Preston Hollow.

I set the GPS to take us HOME the fastest way. 164 miles to go. We run thru the town of SURPRISE and then CLIMAX. It's 6pm, we are hungry, and I have passed a couple of perfectly good looking places to eat and finally said the next one I will stop. We stopped at the Quarry Steakhouse. MeAsWe had Veal Parm and I ordered the 16oz Delmonico steak. This had to be the best steak I have had in 10 years. It was cooked to medium perfection. While this wasn’t the end of the day, it was a very much needed break for both of us. Maybe the rain would stop.

Just uploading the photo makes me hungry again. We will take a ride back to the is place simply for the food, it was that good. Most people are probably not fans of brussels sprouts, but I like em and you can see they were serving em.

Dinner finished, we mounted up for the last leg of our journey. From the Quarry we took I-87 North and caught I-90 East and slabbed it home. GPS said we would arrive home at 9:30 or so. Somewhere around Charlton, the rain stopped and the moon was peaking out behind clouds. In three days we had captured 49 Tons and Burgs, saw some great country side / back roads, and have ended our AMA Titanic tour with hopefully enough places to place in the top 10.

The route du jour

No comments: