Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Connie Goes Sailing

Last night the Concours was sold to a really nice guy from the Marblehead area. His main hobby is sailing and sails like we ride all over the place. I drew similarities between our quest for roads and locations with leaving a harbor and sailing off to a new destination for no other reason than being able to do so.

After he left, I had an empty feeling as the cash laid on the table. I have been to every state east of the Mississippi on that bike and a few just west of the river. That bike earned me 2 National Park certificates with the IBA and traveled 49,700 miles without a hint of hiccup.

I did have one scary moment before the sail. I decided to take the Connie out just to make sure every thing was working. As I headed into the center of town, it started to sputter. As I passed thru the center, it sputtered some more and then died. I said to myself, Damn why today. Thoughts of getting it back home, putting some Seafoam into the tank and trying to clear the ever so present problem raced thru my mind. I looked at the speedo and the Trip 1 Odometer (It has 2) was telling me there was only 146 miles since the last fill up. Not trusting what I was seeing, I popped the gas cap and it looked awful empty in there. Switched the petcock to Reserve, fired up the engine, released the clutch and the Connie took off like it just got a new lease on life. Blew thru the center clocking 5000 RPM and rose to 6000 RPM. Smooth as silk. Anxiety abates. Pull into the gas station for some more fuel.

I will miss the Connie. Every day it sat next to the FJR, saying Ride Me Ride Me. At least now it will have its desire fulfilled.






Somewhere over the rainbow Way up high
Somewhere over the rainbow Skies are blue
And the dreams that you dare to dream Really do come true
Somewhere over the rainbow Bluebirds fly
Why then, oh why can't I?





The Connie is the Bluebird

No comments: