Friday, September 24, 2010

Bus Drivers Bug Ya

We got up at 2am to make it to the Greyhound bus terminal by 3am. We bought our tickets online and they told us to arrive 1 hour before hand. In addition, MeAsWe spent considerable time on the phone arranging for a lift for the bus. Why we had to arrive an hour before departure is beyond me, however there were more people at the station than I expected. I think there was a total of 4 or 5 others.

Bus arrives 15 minutes late. The inside guy tells the driver that MeAsWe would need assistance, to which she responded I can't help, I hurt myself. The Greyhound employee informed me I was the assistance. To make things worse, all of the seats were pretty much full with sleeping passengers and feet blocking the aisle. MeAsWe had to wake these passengers up to ask them to move their feet so she could hobble her way to the back in search of an empty seat. However one person at the very back offered MeAsWe a seat so that her leg could be propped up and out in front of her.

I had to move to the very front of the bus and sit. Right next to me was 2 bags occupying the very front seat. I asked the driver if anyone was sitting there and she told me that is my stuff and my right to have those seats. I then reminded her of MeAsWe, to which she replied she has a seat in the back, to which I told her that this would be a better seat. She did not budge and told me that this was her seat.

I decided not to make an issue about it there, because it probably would have done no good. My thoughts if Greyhound intended this to be for the driver they should put up a closet of some sort for them to store their gear. It is my guess a seat is here for a customer and not for the convenience for the driver.





In Butte, we switched buses. All of the riders insured we got the front seat for MeAsWe comfort. Again there was no help from the driver. He did not even acknowledge MeAsWe condition.

In one more location we switched buses again. This guy wore a I Love Boobies bracelet so I knew there would be no help here. Ladies does this bracelet make you want to give it up. If so boy did I miss the boat on this one. It is beyond me that a grown man would were such a bracelet.

The riders again made sure we got the front seat for MeAsWe. Note I said the riders, again the driver did nothing. I was arranging our stuff and put a pillow I had bought for propping up MeAsWe leg on the sit behind the driver. Once again the driver said that this is his space and would I kindly move my stuff. There must be an unwritten thing about a seat of the drivers choosing. This was with Salt Lake Express.

While the bus ride was good, the arrogance and attitude of the drivers, 3 of them, is beyond belief. We shall see what the attitude of the home office is for these companies are because I plan to call and see what they have to say.

In the pamphlet it contains the following wording:
"Zero Tolerance" Policy in Effect for Violations of any Laws, Rule, Regulation or Company Policy,Including:

Rude, aggressive, or abusive behavior or language is prohibited on these premises or on the bus.


I guess this does not apply to the employees.

Post publishing remark:
I have found out the braclet the driver was wearing is a breast cancer awareness braclet. I could have removed that remark, however I will let it stand and update my lack of knowledge on the braclet this way. Thanks to my son and Runner for informing me of this.


2 comments:

Runner said...

Such travails! You are of more stout stuff than I am, as I'm not sure I could have done the Greyhound bus thing, even with two good legs. As to the "love boobies" bracelet, this is a breast cancer promotion/support thing, albeit in really poor taste, in my opinion. At least you're getting closer to home.

Kate said...

Don't people realize that it is easier to be nice to others than it is to be nasty?
Unbelievable. It is times like this that you wish you had a law degree and were up on accessibility laws.