Monday, August 18, 2014

WWW Tour - I Can See for Miles and Miles - Day Three

I can see for miles and miles
I can see for miles and miles
I can see for miles and miles and miles and miles and miles
Oh yeah
The WHO ~ Pete Townsend ~ 1967


This is NOT going to be one of those days.

We may have been singing that, but Mother Nature decided we would have a different experience on the Cabot Trail. As Bill and Walt planned, giving me the separate room,  I did not wake them up fidgeting about. Office closed, no coffee any way, there was that McDonalds right next door. A large coffee and a hot hash brown should tied me over. Tried posting some pics on FB again, no luck.


Daybreak arrives, they get up, and we head for the Snow Queen for breakfast. Our room included breakfast. I had on my First Gear leggings, a wicking T Shirt and shorts over the legging. When I walked thru the door at the restaurant, I announced the Snow Queen had arrived. I got a few smiles, mostly weird looks. Breakfast was actually quite good. 2 eggs, sausage, home fries, and coffee.

Loading up the bikes with our indoor gear, I said it looked like the skies would clear. I would be wrong. I got to talking to a couple in the parking lot, Walt and Giff took off to get gas. I mounted up maybe 3 minutes later and turned right out of the parking lot. No gas station here. U Turn, go past the motel, no gas station here either. Another U turn and figured they took off. I simply started following the route. I would catch up.

About 12 Klicks or so out of town I realized I still had the motel key in my pocket. Dang this was an actual key, not one of those plastic throw away ones. Do I had back or do I pushed forward and mail it back. I don't have a clue where Bill and Walt are, so I head back to Anitgonish to turn the key in. 12 klicks back and redo the 12 klicks, so that is 48 wasted klicks, putting me about a half hour to 45 minutes behind. Bill said something about the Visitor Center in Port Hastings so I would met them there.

I arrived at the VC in Port Hastings, but no Bill or Walt. I couldn't have made here before them. Some 20 minutes later I see them. Hmmmm which way did they go to get here. No McDonalds around for a snack, so I took some pictures.

DSC_0113_4_5Enhancer ES

DSC_0116_7_8Enhancer ES

At the VC's the folks that work there will make recommendations, phone motels and campsites for you and make the reservations. What a great service. Magilla used these guys up here with great success and he proved to be right. Bill and Walt were at a crossroads here. Do they camp or do they stay at the motel. Annette our hostess makes reservations at the Fair Isle Inn in Whycocomaugh for me. She did try to find a campground with cabins to accommodate my aversion to sleeping with the worms, but nothing was available. Bill and Walt would try to find a camping spot around where I was staying. For a fee I would let Bill and Walt stay there if they couldn't find someplace. Bwahahahaha.

We told them of our plan to head up 19 and pick up the Cabot Trail at Margaree Forks, which they agreed it would be the way to go. Bill suggested we meet at the first gas station in Cheticamp in the event that we get separated again. Sounds like a plan.

I see the Port Hood sign and head for it, Bill keeps going. See the Givi with the flag hanging. It is raining and I have my camera in there for protection versus the tank bag.

DSC_0125_6_7Enhancer ES

Caught up with them in Iverness

DSC_0128_29_30Enhancer ES

Soon to lose them again as I grab Margaree.

DSC_0131_2_3Enhancer ES

A couple of pics along the Cabot Trail. At this point I am using my old Coolpix point and shoot on the move.


DSCN2537 ES

DSCN2538 ES

Getting into the good stuff

DSCN2540 ES

DSCN2541 ES

DSCN2542 ES

DSCN2543 ES

DSCN2544 ES

We crested the hill and there it was I pulled over and they follow. We all dismount and Bill says this is why we came here. The view was breathtaking. Unfortunately I haven't really conveyed that thru my camera. Practise, practice, practice.

DSC_0134_5_6Enhancer ESA

DSC_0143_4_5Enhancer ES

DSC_0146_7_8Enhancer ES

This would turn out to be the most scenic spot we encountered on the Cabot Trail. We head out for more eye candy.

DSCN2545 ES

While this doesn't offer a challenge for a riding standpoint, it shows how little traffic there is in Nova Scotia, at least on Monday on the Cabot Trail in the rain.

DSC_0155_6_7Enhancer ES

Next spot was a beautiful view on the Gulf of St Lawrence.

DSC_0158_59_60Enhancer ES

DSC_0176_7_8Enhancer ES

What really erks me is the folks that are in charge of the trash bins along the way, put one at here in the most strategically located spot to ruin any photographs taken.

We come up on a bunch of cars pulled over and folks getting out. Was there an accident. Nope Bullwinkle is having some water along side the road. I stop and wait for all the cars in front of me to do what they are going to do. Folks are approaching Bullwinkle and if it gets irked or just decides to have some fun by charging the group of taunters I wanted a clear path to make it thru.

DSCN2546 ES

Yeah I am a hypocrite, I did take my camera out too and snap off a few.

With the rain picking up a bit, I pulled into the Rusty Anchor. Figured it would be a good time for some soup. Bill brushing away the rain and Walt just looking water logged.

DSC_0210 ES

A look out the window to see if the rain had stopped.

DSC_0195 ES

Nope.

We finished our lunch at the same time as the table next to us. All of us standing dreading going out in the rain. I offered the woman in her late 70's (my best guess) a ride on the bike on the handle bars so we could re-do the seen in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, singing Rain Drops Keep Falling on My Head. A brief discussion, she asked where are you from. I said Massachusetts. With great indignation she says "You're an American, aren't you? I said yeah is that a problem? I forgot her response. It was all said in the nicest way thou.

DSCN2549 ES

A good spot to let Bill and Walt catch up. Coming down off the high grounds in the rain on switchback roads can slow the pace abit.

DSCN2551 ESS

DSCN2552 ES

As we were heading into Baddeck I kept seeing signs about the ferry, lights indicating if it was running or not. Now I know why.

DSC_0219_20_21Enhancer ES

Waiting to cross

DSC_0231_2_3Enhancer ES

Not waiting anymore.

DSCN2557 ES

Last pic of the day. I remember this specifically because at the ferry it seemed like the rain was going to stop. Again I was wrong. It had actually picked up quite a bit and I just barely got the camera out of the GIVI to click this one off for the Double Down Tour.

DSC_0238 ES

Bill and Walt gave up on camping today and they had to treat me real nice because I was the only one that had a room. Not a lot of miles today, under 300. Tomorrow surely the rain has to stop.

T 2014 08 18



I want to know, have you ever seen the rain?
I want to know, have you ever seen the rain
Comin' down on a sunny day?
Creedence Clearwater Revival ~ 1971


CLICK HERE FOR A SLIDESHOW (additional pictures Editors Cut)

No comments: