Saturday, September 27, 2014

Cape Disappointment - Run for Points.

Earlier in the week I had planned this ride and was amazed at the amount of tons that qualify for the Double Down Tour were on the Cape. Figured I throw in some post offices for the Team Strange Anniversay 30 Grand Tour made it an almost must go ride. Morning comes and there is a bit a chill in the house, so I put on a long sleeve wicking shirt, figuring my arms would be cold. Got the GPS's ready, put everything in the little cloth briefcase and walked out the door to the get the bike ready. BAM it's only 7am and the temperature is in the 70's, then the chilly crisp air one would expect in Fall. Damn the leaves are falling off the trees and it feels like August. Must be Gores fault.


Entries for the Double Down Tour need to be mailed on Monday, Sept 30th, making this the last hurrah for towns. On the road by 8am heading for Rehoboth, MA Post Office for the Anniversary tour and then Assonet, MA for both the pizza place and Post Office.

DSC_3039_40_41Enhancer ES

Now I am not going make you read about all the places I gathered today because A> they are pretty boring B> The skies are blue blue blue and there are not clouds, making for some piss poor photos C> The Cape just ain't that interesting.

Here's Assonet Pizza and it is for lease. This doesn't surprise me. Assonet has a population of 4,000 or so. Looking at Google Maps there has to be 50+ pizza places in the area. If I take a quick math stab at this figure rent, electric and help runs 2500/month (that's on the cheap end) or 30K a year. Figure average pizza in 15 with 10 margin, to break even they gotta sell 3000 pizzas a year to break even. So with the 4000 folks in Assonet for all of the places to break even would be 3000 * 50 or 150,000 pizza or 37 pizzas a person a year or 1.5 pizzas a week for each person in Assonet. This in not families this each person from age 1 month to 100+years old. I just don't understand how pizza places stay open in so many numbers in a given area. I guess Assonet Pizza figured this out too, but their bank account was empty and then the light went off.

DSC_3051_2_3Enhancer ES

The Post Office was right across the street.

DSC_3054_5_6Enhancer ES

Passed thru Freetown, stopped in Mattapoisett.

DSC_3081_2_3Enhancer ES

While we are not on the Cape, we are close, a local land mark in Mattapoisett. I pulled up on the side walk for this picture and still had to step into traffic for the picture. It was right by an intersection so I had the traffic light to regulate the flow of vehicles. Given that a lady still felt compelled to remind me I was standing on the road with her horn and a hand gesture. I returned it.

DSC_3087_8_9Enhancer ES


If you pass thru Bourne you can't miss the Buzzards Bay Railroad Bridge. Can't you picture going to the movies to see Pirates of Buzzards Bay ?? Great name. Bridge was built in 1933 by the Public Works Administration. When it was built it was the longest vertical lift span in the world. Today it is the 2nd longest.

DSC_3093_4_5Enhancer ES

DSC_3096_7_8Enhancer ES

Headed for Pocasset, MA for the Pocasset Nail Salon, picture purposely omitted. However did stop at Hoagie's Diner.

DSC_3102_3_4Enhancer ES

What a great place to have a meal. Classic Mountain View Diner built in 1954. It was originally the Berlin Diner in New Jersey and then moved to Connecticut in 2001 and then relocated to Pocasset in 2004. Now the diner itself is pretty neat but I had 2 eggs flipped and broken with hash, home fries and sourdough toast. Hash was home made and so good I didn't put any ketchup on it. Cooked perfectly with just a hint of charring making it just a little crispy. The eggs were also perfect, with a slight browning on the edges. Waitresses were a pleasure.

DSC_3111_2_3TM ES


DSC_3117_8_9TM ES

I really should have checked the focus on the plate, but I was too much in a hurray to dive in and eat.

Riding down 28 see a sign for Sippewissett. That's a hat trick town and figured I would follow the road to see if I could find a sign. BINGO

DSC_3123_4_5Enhancer ES

Next stop is the famous Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute. Established in 1930, it is the largest independent oceanographic research institution in the US.

DSC_3132_3_4Enhancer ES

Passed thru Falmouth, on the green they were holding a car show. What made this different was Ferraris, Maserati's and other such exotics. Really wanted to stop but I had other places to go.

Fast forward to Hyannisport Club. Some wiki info. The Hyannisport Club is a private club with an 18 hole golf course, located at 2 Irving Avenue (at Scudder Avenue) in Hyannis Port, Massachusetts. The club was founded in 1897 and the golf course was finalized in 1903. The course is an original Donald Ross design which plays 6,257 yards from the blue tee markers. While the course is short in terms of yardage, it is often called "the toughest 6200 yards in golf" because of the famous Hyannisport wind which usually blows directly off of Nantucket Sound. The club boasts some of the most scenic views on Cape Cod and is known for having water visible on every hole although coincidentally, there are no water hazards on the course. The course is located adjacent to the Kennedy Compound and the Kennedy family have long been members of the club.

DSC_3150_1_2Enhancer ES

One of the scenic views

DSC_3156_7_8TM ES1

Then the drudgery. Thru Hyannis, the Dennis's and Bass River. Wanted a picture of the store but it would have been to difficult to get the bike up on the sidewalk for the picture. Instead I grabbed this one and then road down the sidewalk right passed some folks having lunch on the tables outside a little café. I don't even think they noticed me.

DSC_3165_6_7Enhancer ES

My turn around point was 20 miles away in Wellfleet. Once I hit the movie theater, I turned west on 6 and headed back to the traffic. Really there is some beautiful ocean views along the way and nice lighthouses, they just weren't in the cards today.

Wellfleet MA DSC_3186 ES

On the way back off the Cape I hit Dennis again and did not remember if I got Dennis itself. Grabbed a pic of the Dennis Library and turned off on this side street because they GPS said I could turn around this way. The road got narrow, kind of choppy tarmac, just like it was going to turn to dirt and then this. I had a hard enough time turning the bike around and I wasn't going to see how deep the hole really was. I wasn't that far into this to not turn around. Wouldn't want to get the FJR dirty.

DSC_3210_1_2Enhancer ES

Hit the Cummaquid Golf Club. I just love those Indians and their names. Great for tours like this.

DSC_3213_4_5Enhancer ES

Picture of the Sagamore Bridge crossing Cape Cod Canal. You can't tell from the picture, but the sun is dropping fast.

DSC_3216_7_8Enhancer ES

Off the Cape and riding on RT 6 was brutal because the sun was directly in your eyes. Glad I don't travel this road frequently. Can't imagine what it is like in the winter with the snow and ice working as reflectors.

Hit Middleborough High School. Decision time, head to Elmwood or head home. Elmwood is only 12 miles away, so really not that far.

DSC_3237_8_9Enhancer ES

Elmwood satisfied both the Double Down with the florist shop and the Team Stange with the Post Office. Actually inched the bike forward for the PO shot.

DSC_3240 ES

DSC_3241 ES


One more stop in Rayhnam for the Post Office and 35 miles to home. Almost skipped this but according to the GPS it was only an additional 2 miles, I think it was more.

DSC_3243 ES

Pulled into home right around 8:30 or so to eat and then head for the airport in Boston to pick up my daughter Dani. MeAsWe told me their flight was changed and they were coming in tomorrow so I got to throw my legs up on the couch and watch the LMN Channel (Lunatics, Maniacs and Necrophiliacs) movie MeAsWe had on.


Click >>> Slideshow for previously filmed scenes not shown.





Trip was 321 miles, good for getting some points and a great breakfast, other than that it was Cape Disappointment.

T 2014 09 27

No comments: