Thursday, June 9, 2011

First Long Trip of the Season - The Plan

Our first long trip of the season will be into the Adirondacks, Lake Erie and touching on the Finger Lakes in New York. The New England Riders are having their first outting at Acadia National Park, however these seem to be always held the first or second weekend of the month and I can not commit to go due to my work schedule. Those are the busiest times for me at work. I hope they all enjoy the weekend in such a grand and beautiful place.

This trip will be just around 1,225 miles in 4 days. No biggie in miles but we have around 67 stops for the GLMC Affair with Water tour and 1 to 3 BBQ places for the Smoke Chasing 2001 tour.

Our initial plan was to leave Friday 6/10. First chink in the armor with our first night stop in Lake George, Americade is also happpening too. I have a relative in Queensbury so that solved this first problem. Looking at the weather for the weekend, that is a problem we can not solve, so it looks like we shall put this off until Thursday, June 16th.

This is going to be the first big test for our new Nuvi 855. This past weekend it seemed to get real skittish, almost as if it got over loaded with new Waypoints. The unit was having a hard time taking in new inputs and rerouting. It was just slow, but a stop at Wendy's for a small chili and being shut off for about 20 minutes seem to cure its blues and it worked flawlessly for the rest of the trip. With the Nuvi's so plentiful and relatively inexpensive, this could finally end my search for another 2720 as a backup.

I wish I had one of those cameras that included the Long/Lat in the data for each photo was taken. Every time we stop and take a picture, I mark the spot in the GPS and cross ref the spot to the photo number. When we download the photo to the computer in update I update the attributes with the Long/Lat. I also create a MapSource file by year to where we have been. Why, I just don't know but I have been doing this since 2006. Just one of those things that completes our journeys.

It has taken awhile to knock out a firm plan, going thru 2 or 3 revisions, but ya gotta put a stake in the ground sometime and just do it. I just know we missed a town or two here and there. Heres the plan.


No comments: