Monday, March 18, 2013

Bring It On Home to the Hanover

This weekend MeAsWe and Me (or is that I) went to see ClassicAlbunsLive performance of Led Zeppelin II. This is not a tribute band, but the sole purpose is to replicate the sound of Led Zeppelin. When I bought the tickets, I said to myself I really wish they were playing Zep I, but II was just as good. One of the band members came out to explain stuff to the audience. He stated we would not see any costumes, nor would there be any videos or change of clothes and they even may not play the same instruments as the original artists. What we could expect was to imagine coming home, pulling the album from it’s jacket, placing it on the turntable, sitting back, closing your eyes and become immersed in the music. The only thing we didn’t have to do is flip the album over to side 2.



They nailed it to a Z. (for Zeppelin, a little play on a Letter)

The first 15 seconds of their performance was a bit disappointing, but I had to remind myself that what I heard on the album was recorded in a studio and this was live. From then on I was amazed how good these musicians were.

To me the star of the show was the guy on Lead Guitar. I have always had an appreciation for Jimmy Page, for the blues and for a Gibson Les Paul. This guy had multiple Les Paul’s, but the one that really stuck in my mind was the Goldtop Les Paul. I don’t have a clue if it was authentic or not, but this particular LP was built primarily between 1952 – 1958. Based on his performance I am betting it was authentic. He also played a blonde Telecaster, which if original, dated to the 50’s as well.
This guy was a master and made me realize just how complicated Page’s riffs were. It also made my understand that Led Zeppelin’s music was pretty darn complicated because almost every piece started out and end completely different at the end with several transitions in the middle. I have always known this but seeing the music played live made you doubly aware of it.

The singer essentially got Robert Plant spot on. I never really paid much attention to the bass line in Zep. The drummer, while it’s tough to beat Bonham, he did an A++ job. He did Moby Dick just as if the group was there live. Page and Jones, initially on stage, leaving to let Bonham have his way with the skins, and came back at the end.

They finished up Led Zeppelin II and the lights came on. The  group speaker said they were going to take a little 20 minute break and come back and play some more. Out we went to the lobby to pee and have some more beer and went back to our seats.

Back in our seats after 20 minutes, the group essentially played the Led Zep I album in it's entirety and made strong cuts into III and IV.



We saw these guys at the Hanover Theater in Worcester, which is a great venue for this type of stuff. I can’t wait for Pink Floyd to roll around from ClassicAlbumsLive. I am sure I won’t be disappointed.

No comments: