Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Huggin Hudson


Heading for the outskirts of the Catskills and then north to Saratoga Springs. The weather is near perfect, in the 70's and very low humidity. The trip looks very promising. Main purpose is to capture so more ST signs for the GLMC Grand Tour, and a few lighthouses on the Hudson. Headed straight out the Mass Pike, stopping in Becket on the Pike for the Highest Spot East of South Dakota on I-90. 2 Points for the ST words.



While most of the trip and photos are of ST signs, which I will not bore you with, however I need to ground the story from time to time. First stop was in Chatham NY. This spot I just happened to pass.



There were quite few stops before I got to Roundout Creek Lighthouse in Kingston NY. It was built in 1915, replacing the earlier 1867 lighthouse.





The Hudson River Maritime Museum is located in Kingston. As I headed back into Kingston there were a bunch of WWII PT boat hulls sitting on the grounds.



Heading further south to Ulster Park for Escopus Light. This one is an active light. built in 1871. It is the last wooden lighthouse on the Hudson River.





Heading north I stopped in Catsill for some flowers. I was gonna wear in my hair, however I had a helmet on. I was going to stop in the Thomas Cole House for a National Park stamp. I tend to complicate my trips by trying to accomplish to much versus concentrating on the task on hand. Just ask Crystal (SO) when we did 4 different contests on one of our trips.



Just outside of Catskill is Athens, NY. I had a spot marked on NY 385 and I was spot on where I could grab a snapshot, but it is so far off, not sure it will work for the Lighthouse Tour.





Made my was up Albany for a bunch of places. Found this joint to have an amusing slogan.



In Albany turned south and then went west hitting a bunch of places until I arrived in Amsterdam NY for the night. Stayed in a Super 8 which turned out to be much better than my expectations. For dinner went to DomAdi's Deli having some really good mac n'cheese and a half Italian sub. If you are in Amsterdam a worthy stop.

I tend to get an early start when on the road, but not so early that I am likely to run into packs of forest rats. Just outside of Amsterdam, in Mohawk, NY I stopped at this farm scene. It just grabbed my attention to pull over and take a shot.



Looking the other way one would think I was in Oklahoma versus New York. I distinguish Oklahoma versus Kansas because of the rise in the road in the background. Kansas is way flatter.




In Gloversville which was center of Glove making in the United States was this dealership from the past. The building struct me because of the Art Deco / Moderne look and feel to it. Can't you picture some Auburn Cords. Pierce Arrows or Duesenbergs sitting out front?



Another striking building is the First Congregational Church in Gloversville with its big bell tower .



Gloversville seems to never have left the 1950's or early 60's. I remember my Mom bringing to clothes stores like the one pictured and going to movie theaters like this one





I finally have turned east just touching the southern border of Adirondack Park. In Broadalbin stopped for another chance at this salon. I just love the little phrase on the sign.




I have been thru Saratoga Springs a couple of times. Usually to get a picture of the race course and of course showing up on a race day. Being Wednesday there were no races and getting a picture of the entrance was a snap. Saratoga Springs recks of history and money. Saratoga Race Course opened in 1863, it is often considered to be the oldest major sporting venue of any kind in the country, ] but is actually the fourth oldest racetrack in the US. (Wikipedia)



Turning south to Glenville I came across this huge hangar (aren't they all huge?). It was occupied by .General Electric Flight Test Center From 1946 to 1964, where groundbreaking jet engine research and other aviation advances were pioneered.



One of the last stops of the trip was for Golden Harvest Farms in Valatie, NY. The farm dates back to 1957 as a roadside stand for which became the largest of its kind along RT 9.



All in all the 2 day trip was great with perfect weather covering 608 miles on some very scenic roads.



1 comment:

steveg said...

Nice little ride. I haven't snagged those lighthouses on the Hudson just yet.