Saturday, July 26, 2014

A Sprinkling of Nutmeg

It's Saturday and heading over to talk bikes, politics and what we would do if either of us hit the lottery big time. Giff is heading out camping with his friend after his boss lets him off and me, I have planned a ride to mid and southern Connecticut for some more Double Down towns. I figure I would get an early start, however plans are just that, theoretical. I got out of Giffs about 11:30 and screwed around checking the route until 12:30pm or so before I actually got on the road.


First place I am heading is Bloomfield, CT which is just west and a little north of Hartford. Mapsource had me going out the MA pike and then down I-84. Turned that sucker into an elastic band dropping it onto CT 197 past Bigelow State Park and then picked 84 thru Vernon and Hartford. It was very tempting to stop at one of my all time favorites places Reins, but I resisted. They make the best sandwiches for sure.

DSC_8568_69_70Enhancer ES

Got the Bloomfield High School and headed out of town. The GPS was acting up and I figured I had a corrupted waypoint in the route, because everytime I charged up the route, the GPS would shut down and reboot itself. Time for some Point to Point navigation. I find myself going down this neighborhood street, passed these guys coming home and had to go back for some pictures.

DSC_8592_3_4Enhancer ES C

The GPS has picked some roads thru Hartford before placing me on I-91. As I looked around I realized I was in this neck of the woods running down BBQ joints a couple of years ago for the Smoke Chasing Grand Tour. Off I-91 to Higganum. Nothing special about this place other than it is worth 1 point and the town name is neat.(not a clue how to say it)

DSC_8598_599_600Enhancer ES

Into Haddam for the Congregational Church, which is a replica of the one built in 1846 that burned to the ground in the 1970's. Fooled me, figured the church was old. A quick look around the church and it reeks of history.

DSC_8601_2_3Enhancer ES

DSC_8607_8_9Enhancer ES


As I am making my way down the west side of the Connecticut River, I diverted myself to one of the NER BONE Scenic places. Grab a few pics, one with Gillette Castle in the background.

DSC_8631_2_3Enhancer ES

Back to grabbing Double Down towns pull into Deep River. I had marked 2 National Register of Historic Places in the town to grab if I had time. Well I had time and grabbed Pratt, Reed and Company Complex. These guys manufactured piano keys and key boards from ivory and wood from the time of the Civil War to WWII. The first pictured factory was built in 1881 and the white one was built in 1914. The old place looks like it has been converted to apartments or condos and the other houses a plastic company and some other business endeavors.

DSC_8646_7_8Enhancer ES


DSC_8670_1_2Enhancer ES

DSC_8685_6_7Enhancer ES

Right across the street from the plastic company was this pond with water spurting up in it. Appropriately the pond is name Keyboard Pond.
DSC_8679_80_81Enhancer ES

Right down the street they used to make Gliders used in WWII.

DSC_8691_2_3Enhancer ES


DSC_8694_5_6Enhancer ES

I headed for the next historic spot, the Deep River Freight Station. This made for a much more interesting picture for the Double Down tour. This was built around 1915 by the New York, New Haven and Hartford RR.


Located right behind the freight station is the dock for the Essex Steam Train and Riverboat dock. This is a really pretty view of the Connecticut River, very peaceful and serene. While I was there, newly weds were having their wedding pictures taken by the river.

DSC_8697_8_9Enhancer ES

DSC_8703_4_5Enhancer ES

DSC_8718_19_20Enhancer ESSt

DSC_8748_49_50Enhancer ES

DSC_8739_40_41Enhancer ES

Back up on CT 164 headed further south to Essex. Stopped for the entering Essex sign. It was just so big and available. The Double Down tour allows entering the town signs only if they are put up by the local folks and are not just the green entering signs put up the state. This would be my first one on these if I use it.

DSC_8763_4_5Enhancer ES

In Centerbrook picked up the pizza place for Double Down. Right behind this place is a really neat dam and figured it might be a good scenic shot.

DSC_8772_3_4Enhancer ES


DSC_8775_6_7Enhancer ES

Just in case I decide not to use the Essex town sign stopped at the Essex Hardware. Right across the street is Essex Steam Train. Picked up a brochure from the kid at entrance telling him I was just turning around. They had some kind of circus event going on and I think they were charging just to get onto the lot.

DSC_8790_1_2Enhancer ES

DSC_8796_7_8Enhancer ES

Hanging a right onto CT 153 head straight for Westbrook and got this pretty uninteresting place pictorially, but satisfied the Double Down stuff. It was right here I got gas. At the pump next to me was a family filling up their car and a kid probably about 9 years old was standing there watching me. As I mounted the bike and began to start the bike he watched me go for the starter button and put his hands over his ears. To his surprise there was no explosion, just a really nice purr coming from the FJR. I said to him, what did you expect a lot of noise. His mother looked up and just smiled.

DSC_8802_3_4Enhancer ES

I was going to go deep into Old Saybrook but this was just there. The GPS is acting up again so I simply plugged in the next destination, but realize it was taking me up the west side of the Connecticut River and I was to wind myself up the east side of the river. I forced my south, crossed over the Connecticut River via I-95 and turned north on CT 156. Veered left on Hamburg Rd and stopped for a picture of this bridge. At this point I am in Lyme.

DSC_8811_2_3Enhancer ES

I crossed over the bridge onto to Joshuatown Rd and began one of the most scenic rides I have been as I made my way up to Gillette Castle. Not a long stretch of road, about 6 miles, but worthy of trip whether you be in a cage or bike. CHECK IT HERE

DSC_8817_8_9Enhancer ES

DSC_8832_3_4Enhancer FES

DSC_8826_7_8Enhancer ES

Stopped at the other side of the Hadlyme Ferry Launch to make it a paired stop.

DSC_8835_6_7Enhancer ES

Pulled into to Gillette Castle State Park, snapped off a bad pic of the castle and decided I had to bring MeAsWe back to this area for a more intensive photo session in the MINI. I have been to the castle but it was with the NER group back in 2005 and a return trip is warranted.

DSC_8841 ES

DSC_8847_8_9Enhancer ES

Day is moving on, made tracks to East Haddam Fire Dept. The scene across the street was much prettier that what I captured with the camera. The rays of the sun coming out from the clouds were much more defined. I need to work on my photo skills for capturing something like this.

DSC_8850_1_2Enhancer ES

DSC_8859_60_61Enhancer ES

Right up the street is East Haddam Congregational Church. While this is a spectacular old church in it's own right, it was the bell tower that grabbed my eye and made me turn around and go back. There was something about the weathered paint on the tower that gave this church a kind of eerie spooky look. Built in 1794, it is America's Oldest Federal Meetinghouse. The word "Federal" here refers to the architecture type versus government. Right next door is also the First Church Cemetery established in 1788.

DSC_8862_3_4Enhancer ES

DSC_8901_2_3Enhancer ES

DSC_8910_1_2Enhancer ES

Back to the more mundane sites. (like the colors of the sign though)

DSC_8922_3_4Enhancer ES

Last stop is Middle Haddam. Clipped my flag to the church sign and pulled off the last scheduled stop of the day. To my surprise the sign was made of metal. I was expecting it to be wood.

DSC_8931_2_3Enhancer ES

I am done for the day, other than I have to get home. Plug is the Home waypoint and the GPS has me heading east on CT 16. I started seeing the signs for Colchester. Isn't Harry's Place in Colchester. Pulled up Harry's in the Where do you want to go section and made a bee line for Harry's.

DSC_8937_8_9Enhancer ES

What can you say about Harry's. There is something about their cheeseburgers, they don't look special, but they are. Is it the memories that are conjured up as you bite into the burger, is it the grease on the grill that marinates the ground hamburger, is it the kids running around, or the classic 56 Chevy that pulls in. I don't know what makes them so good, they just are GOOD. I hear the fried clams and onion rings are out of this world. READ FOR YOURSELF.

DSC_8940_1_2Enhancer ES

I was disappointed that I only had enough cash on me for one burger, but I am sure my waistline thanked my wallet.

DSC_8952_3_4Enhancer ES


Some of the folks at Harry's

DSC_8959 ES

DSC_8962 ES

DSC_8966 ES

Great day of riding, scenery was superb, and riding home as the sun set was wonderful. SLIDESHOW HERE

T 2014 07 26

No comments: