Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Day the Music Died

Today I got a late start riding. About 5 years ago I would be out on the road chasing down stuff probably at 7am. Last season we would be on the road probably around 10 or 11am. Today it was closed to noon before I got going. Of course in the past I would have my ride planned out the night before. Now I do it the morning of.

So today's agenda is grabbing some more BBQ places with some historic places along the way. They were on the way so I threw them in. (The backlog for waymarking grows). Part of the agenda is to grab the Rhode Island tag in Warren. The planning stage.



MeAsWe isn't going today because she is a whoos ass. Not not really, she has this terrible cough, but I keep calling her a whoos ass. Not very nice of me is it.

The travel looked like this.




First BBQ placed knocked off was in Attleboro called Boneyard BBQ. When I got there the parking lot was empty. Being the first stop and not in a big rush I decided to go in and check the place out.





Being an old guitar player and a sucker for looking at guitars I had to take a look at what they had displayed. I took this one like Pete Townsend used to do the windmill on his Gibson SG.



Did I capture the effect ?

When I got outside I was surrounded by bikes and could not get out. One of the guys was nice enough to move some bikes so I could back out. I forgot to take a picture. As I leave I realize I will have to return because on the GLMC Grand USA tour, Attleboro is an A town and then right next to is Seekonk, an S town. I fell a bit guilty of not picking up these, but the USA Tour doesn't start until April 1.

Grabbed a few more places and found myself at the RI Tag. Now if I can just get home before some else posts this puppy up.



Making my way down to Fall River pick up Ed's Famous BBQ and then stopped at this historic place, Fort Barton Site.



When I got home found out this was not Fort Barton. It looked like a fort could have been here. It was a block away. Another day.

Picked up Becky's BBQ in Middletown and then stopped for a bit to eat in Newport. The colors of this place were a selling point to me. It just looked good.





They were good and for you taggers the location is N41 29.637 W71 18.570. This guy kept me company while I ate.



Only had one BBQ place to pick up in Newport. It either never existed, went out of business or is a seasonal place. No Points !!

Got a bit sidetracked and turned down a road, which lead to a road, which lead to a private driveway, which had a sign "PRIVATE" that I never saw and got this shot. Took me a while to get up off the pavement. The car waiting to pull into their spot was real patient with me.



I had a heck of a time convincing the camera to actually record this shot. Apparently the headlights were causing havoc with the on board sensors. Glad I got the extended warranty.

Next spot was Artillery Park. Well I asked a local and they sent me off to another fort. When I got home found out that the graveyard that was where the fort was suppose to be was the spot. No I didn't take any pictures. Another day again.

Ended up at (and not such a bad place to end up) at Beavertail Lighthouse.



Grabbed a couple more historic sites in Jamestown, including this one.



One of these days I will work on getting the wires and telephone pole out of the picture. Just time and patience is needed.

Stopped at Oak Hill Tavern and BBQ. An unusual combination of names for sure. A littel bit of New England (Tavern) a little bit of the South (BBQ). This was sitting out in front of the place. Had Arizona plates.



There is a category in waymarking called Junk Houses. This place will qualify and I will post it up there, however I don't really consider this junk. It is actually very well done. I really should have made this the RI Tag.



The last stop of the day was another place that has closed. By the looks of the sign it looks like it hardly even got started.



On a final note, I came across what I consider to be an unusual site. I caught this out of the corner of my eye, turned my head quickly and continued forward. As I thought about what I had seen I turned around and went back for a picture. You will find this spot at the beginning of a runway at TF Green.

I thought The Day the Music Died fit.

No comments: