Friday, June 9, 2017

In Search of Dinosaurs

I took today off to simply go riding. Haven't had any vaca days yet this year. Come August it will be vacation every day. After re-reading GLMC Americana Extreme tour rules I concluded the capture of Dinosaur State Park in Connecticut probably would not qualify. Rules state;

Dinosaur – statue, mural, or sign of a dinosaur

Being a sign of a dinosaur and not simple the word spelled out, headed back out to knock off the Connecticut Dinosaur and then some more.


First stop of the day heading thru Woodstock was this 1 Room School House. The original school was built on this site in 1734, which burned in 1873. This one is the replacement and served as a school until 1929. This is located at the intersection of CT 198 and 197 in Woodstock CT. I don't how many times I have passed this building, but not in a big rush today, I stopped.



On Westford Rd, CT 89, was this rock I have passed a couple of times in my travel. This is a marker for the Old Connecticut Path that began in Cambridge area and let to Hartford, CT and the first trail that led westward.



Continuing on into West Hartford to The Childrens Museum, which has 2 dinosaurs, Velociraptor & Allosaurus, ready to gobble up the younglings heading into the museum. If I was a little kid and had seen Jurassic Park, the scene when Wayne Knight in the Jeep goes of trail, getting himself cornered might make it tough to get to the entrance.





Perhaps the friendlier Moby Dick would calm me down abit. Still looks hungry.



While I was in the neighborhood I picked up some places on the National Register of Historic Places.

Old Center Cemetery NRHP - established in 1714 and was the town's first cemetery.



Noah Webster Memorial Library - now a hair salon, built in 1915 and used for books for 20 or so years.



Noah Webster's Birthplace - a National Historic Landmark. Noah authored the American Dictionary and the Blue Back Speller, used to teach kids how to spell and read in a secular manner.



From here I jumped on I-91 to get past Springfield, since I was already there last week exiting onto US 202 heading into Granby. Found this much friendlier critter than the last 2.



Heading to my next spot I came across this incredibly scenic spot. This is the Christopher C. Aldrich Grist Mill perated as a distillery at first and then from 1836 to 1870 operated as a woolen factory supplying blankets for the Civil War.







Not too far away was Nash Dinosaur Tracks. Interesting story with this one. From my posting at Waymarking.com

Discovered in 1939 by Carlton S. Nash. It is now run by his son Kornell. Admission is cheap at $3 and they sell dinosaur tracks prices ranging from $50 to $900. The dinosaur tracks can be found out back of the building wandering down the pathway. Carlton discovered the tracks one day as a teenager by kicking over a rock and there it was. He placed the rock back until he could purchase 2 or so acres around the rock. From there Nash Dinosaur Tracks developed.





Did stop at the Mt Holyoke Range State Park for the Americana Tour, even though I have enough State Parks for Mass.



Driving into Amherst I saw this lenticular bridge, which are becoming rarer and rarer these days as they are replaced. This used to carry vehicles and now a pedestrian bridge.



In Amherst I stopped at the Goodwin Memorial African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church ( on NRHP) which is located way off the street. The church was built in 1910.



stopped at Hampshire College and drove around the campus. This is the college that removed all American flags after one was burned on campus the night before veterans day. The school's president said that going forward, "no American flags will be flown on campus. Getting rid of the flag will allow us to focus our efforts on addressing racist, misogynistic, Islamophobic, anti-immigrant, anti-Semitic and anti-LGBTQ rhetoric and behaviors," Given that, I don't think it deserves a picture on my blog.

Drove around downtown Amherst for a place to grab a bit to eat and nothing really look appetizing so headed out of town of Rout 9. I have gone thru Brookfield hundreds of times and was always struck be the arch to the Brookfield Cemetery. Today I stopped and took pictures. Found out the cemetery is on the NRHP.







Picking up an "E" town for the Love and Merci Tour.



Another one of those spots I constantly pass. I am sure most riders in the Massachusetts area will recognize this one.



Last stop of the day was Wagner's BMW for the Americana Extreme tour. This is one of the specific stops. Looking at this pic, think the Spyder needs a bath.



Left right around 9:30 this morning and got home right around 6PM. Full day with some 225 miles or so. Dinosaur update, I have three of them for Massachusetts, can only use 1. I forgot I had gotten one in April on top of a building, so the 2 today were not needed, but then I would not have found out about the Nash guy.




1 comment:

wendyvee said...

Wow. You captured some real gems! I don't think I can pick a favoritt.